Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Gotta Dance,Gotta Dance

My Mum told me a story once about my Grandma that I want to tell. When my Grandma was in her twenties she used to love to dance. She would sell eggs from the chickens on the farm and had enough money to either buy a coke, which was pretty big then, or to go dancing. She usually picked dancing. Her mother would make dresses that matched her boyfriend’s military uniforms and they would go and dance. The story is that they were so good that people would clear the floor for them.

About a year ago I was dancing with one of my good friends and one of my favorite dance partners and the same thing happened. We looked up and the floor was empty. I tell this story not to stroke my ego but to say that in that moment I wished very much that my Grandma hadn’t passed away when I was twelve so that I could call her and share that with her. I tell it because dancing still makes me happy. So much that I hadn’t even noticed the people, just the person that I was dancing with.

The universe throws all kinds of curve balls at you. Sometimes all you can do is stand in the room and hope that they don’t hit you in the head as the whiz by. On occasion though, someone stands in a room and helps you catch them. The things that matter turn out to be small and seemingly insignificant but on a day when you need them more than anything they are like a rare currency.

They are these things…

Being someone’s role model, doing well at your job, having a friend who will look at your car… again, delicious food made by someone who listens, someone warm after a cold day, someone who tells you how beautiful you look, dancing with your favorite people until you want to collapse and having a best friend who will hold you and make the world go away for just awhile.

When the good things in a day outweigh the bad despite your effort to be unhappy and angry you can be truly happy and grateful.  

No comments:

Post a Comment